For Community Grants:
All proposal budgets must use CFNIL’s Budget Template. It captures the proposal budget, while automatically making calculations to inform our Grant Reviewers.
General Budget Instructions:
- Expense items may be combined into one line if there aren’t enough rows for all expenses. Take care to group like items as much as possible and use the budget narrative to indicate the amounts for the component expenses.
- Single item expenses exceeding $5,000 require two quotes. If obtaining two quotes is impossible or impractical, you must explain why in the budget narrative. All remodeling projects require two quotes. If you receive a discount from a vendor that is so significant that a second quote would be impractical, upload a letter of support from the vendor in lieu of the quotes.
- All quotes should be combined into a single pdf document and uploaded on the Budget Tab of the application. If you need assistance working with a pdf document, visit http://cfnil.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/CFNIL-PDF-Tips.pdf.
- Proposal budgets using the CFNIL Budget Template must be uploaded to the CFNIL Web Portal as a PDF. To learn how to convert your Excel document to a PDF, please visit this Microsoft Support page.
Budget Template Instructions:
Applicants are only able to write in blue cells. Everything else is locked.
- Cells A1 to A4 capture your organization’s name, the proposal title, the grant cycle and the date.
- Cells C9 to E8 capture the amount your organization is requesting from CFNIL per year. (Leave cells D8 and E8 blank if submitting a single year request.)
- Cells B9 to B17 refer to other sources of income that will fund your proposal, while cells C9 to E17 capture the amount requested from these sources/year. (If CFNIL is the sole source of funding for your proposal, leave these cells blank.)
- Cells C9 to C17 refer to the status of your proposal. The options available in these cells are “estimated,” “requested,” “pledged,” or “received”. For more information about the definitions of each status, please refer to the bottom of the Budget Template.
- Cells B33 to B42 refer to your project expenses, while Cells C33 to E42 capture the amount required for these items per year. (Leave Cells D33 to E42 blank if submitting a single year request.)
- Cells H33 to H42 captures the length of anticipated service in years for capital items. Leave these cells blank if the line item is not a capital expense.
For your convenience, CFNIL has provided a sample proposal budget and sample proposal narrative.