Larry and Betty McGee Scholarship
Supporting students entering technology fields.
- Be a current college freshman.
- Currently reside in Winnebago County.
- Be enrolled in a field of study related to technology, such as computer science, engineering, or applied sciences.
- Demonstrate a history of participation in a number of extracurricular and community activities.
- Demonstrate a moderate level of financial need.
Academic performance will be given high priority consideration in the selection process.
Preference may be given to students attending a college or university in the state of Illinois or a military academy.
Scholarship is renewable for up to three years as long as criteria is met.
Each CFNIL scholarship is created with a specific purpose in mind. As you complete the application, the system automatically matches you with every scholarship for which you are eligible and will present you with a specific written prompt for each. You're encouraged to craft a unique response to each prompt to show the reviewers why you're the best candidate for that scholarship.
Scholarship Background and Intent
Donor Statement from Larry and Betty McGee
We have established our scholarship and support the scholarship program at the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois for two different reasons:
1) Betty did not have a scholarship. She and her parents had to work very hard for her to afford to go to college, where she obtained a teaching degree. Larry had a four-year scholarship which enabled him to go to college for 5 years and obtain degrees in engineering and business. As a result of our educations both of our careers were challenging and rewarding. Hopefully, this scholarship will enable students to pursue their college careers more easily.
2) We would like to enable others to obtain their degrees and obtain good jobs which will enable them to contribute to our community by volunteering at and donating to worthwhile organizations. We wish this scholarship to be earned by a combination of good grades and participation in both extra-curricular and community activities.
Would you like to support the Larry and Betty McGee Scholarship? You can make a donation directly to this fund, to help grow its impact and ability to provide educational resources for students in our community — forever!