Larry and Betty McGee Scholarship
To provide educational resources to well-rounded students from Winnebago County entering technology fields.
Taking into consideration the background and criteria of this scholarship, why are you the best candidate to receive it? You may want to discuss your past academic or personal achievements, leadership skills, community and school involvement, or obstacles you’ve overcome.
- Be a permanent resident of Winnebago County;
- Be a current college freshman;
- Have a GPA of at least 3.0/4.0;
- Must be enrolled in a field of study related to technology, such as computer science, engineering, or applied sciences;
- Participate in a number of extracurricular and community activities; and
- Have an EFC of less than 10,000.
Preference will be given to students attending a college or university in the state of Illinois or a military academy.
Donor Statement from Larry and Betty McGee
We have established our scholarship and support the scholarship program at the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois for two different reasons:
1) Betty did not have a scholarship. She and her parents had to work very hard for her to afford to go to college, where she obtained a teaching degree. Larry had a four-year scholarship which enabled him to go to college for 5 years and obtain degrees in engineering and business. As a result of our educations both of our careers were challenging and rewarding. Hopefully, this scholarship will enable students to pursue their college careers more easily.
2) We would like to enable others to obtain their degrees and obtain good jobs which will enable them to contribute to our community by volunteering at and donating to worthwhile organizations. We wish this scholarship to be earned by a combination of good grades and participation in both extra-curricular and community activities.
Would you like to support the Larry and Betty McGee Scholarship? You can make a donation directly to this fund, to help grow its impact and ability to provide educational resources for students in our community — forever!