To provide educational resources for graduating seniors within Boone, Dekalb, DuPage, Stephenson, or Winnebago County who have a commitment to ending teen dating violence and/or domestic abuse.
- Be a graduating senior from a high school located within Boone, Dekalb, DuPage, Stephenson, or Winnebago County;
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0;
- Reflect Amanda’s compassionate and caring nature;
- Have played a leadership role in implementing a project to address teen dating violence or domestic abuse within their school or the wider community; and
- Describe the project that they implemented in the essay portion of the scholarship application.
Please discuss your experience implementing a project to address teen dating violence or domestic abuse. You may wish to include information about your leadership role, what affect the project had on the community, or how it affected you personally.
Amanda Reed was a lifelong Rockford resident and a 2001 graduate of Boylan Central Catholic High School. At Boylan, Amanda participated in track and was elected by her peers to Natural Helpers. This notable honor is bestowed upon students who show a natural skill of helping others.
A fierce protector of her family and friends, Amanda always had a big smile on her face and hugged everyone.
Amanda was tragically taken from us in September of 2009 as a result of domestic violence. We will continue to honor her always by living the way she taught us to live – with a big heart, an open mind, and an unwavering loyalty to those she loved. We continue to strive for a community free of domestic violence, so that no woman need fear for her safety or be the victim of domestic abuse.